Most people do not think about their furnace until something goes wrong with it. This is an entirely understandable attitude as furnaces really aren’t the most interesting of domestic appliances. However, they are one of the more vital components of any residential HVAC system and if yours should happen to go wrong, you will soon realize just how much you rely on it. For this reason, it is important not to believe the myths you hear about furnace maintenance and repair. If you do, you may come to regret your willingness to listen to bad advice at some point in the future.
What Not to Believe About Furnace Service and Repair
If you have heard any of the myths listed below, whether from local firms and individuals in Vaughan or elsewhere in the GTA, you can safely dismiss them.
- Paying to Have Your Furnace Maintained Is a Waste of Money – A lot of homeowners are quite prepared to believe this myth, principally because not having to pay annual service and maintenance fees is an attractive proposition. However, it is completely untrue and you could well live to regret not paying a reputable firm to maintain your appliance. A well-maintained furnace will operate more efficiently and is less likely to fail without warning.
- The Cheapest Repair Firms Are the Best to Use – Picking a furnace service company based on cost alone could be a very big mistake. Although there are many reputable firms that provide competitive maintenance services in Vaughan and across the GTA, you need to look at other factors besides the overall cost. For example: can the firm in question provide you with references from other customers? Are they fully insured? How many years have they been in business? All these questions need to be considered when choosing a company to repair or service your furnace.
- All Furnace Parts Are Equal – If you need a new component fitted, such as a replacement filter, it is important to make sure that the part in question is suitable for your appliance. Furnaces will only work properly when fitted with the correct components so it is never a good idea to use parts that are designed to be used with another make or model, or that have been manufactured by an unknown company.
- If Your House Starts to Feel Cold, Simply Turn Up the Thermostat – If you have your thermostat set to a comfortable temperature but your house is starting to feel colder than normal, this is almost always because of a fault in your heating system. Instead of just turning up the thermostat and making your appliance work harder, call a furnace service expert and ask them to take a look at your whole system.
- Your Warranty Covers All Repairs – Many people assume that the warranty provided by the manufacturer of their heating appliance covers every single component but in most cases, this is simply not true. Major components, such as the heat exchanger, are often specifically excluded. This is why it is important to use a reputable furnace service and repair firm because if you allow your appliance to fall into a state of disrepair, there is a good chance that one of the critical components not covered by your warranty will fail.
If you want to make sure that your home stays comfortably warm whenever the weather turns cold, be sure to have your heating system checked on a regular basis. A comprehensive furnace service by a qualified engineer is not that expensive and could save you thousands of dollars in the long term.